Skip to Content

Academic Advisor Guidecolor bar


La BocaAs an advisor, we want to ensure that you are prepared to give advice and answer questions from students (and their parents) interested in participating in study abroad. It is also important for you to understand the specific requirements and documentation the student needs for each type of study abroad program.

UNT offers three primary types of study abroad programs:
1. Short-Term Faculty-Led
2. Semester & Year Exchanges
3. Affiliate Programs


1) Short-Term Faculty-Led: UNT Faculty Teaching Classes Abroad

  • Faculty-Led programs are arranged by UNT faculty members and Study Abroad Office and offer regular courses in departmental inventories; therefore, students do not need to transfer credit.
  • In order to be eligible for any Faculty-Led program, students must have been at UNT for at least one semester, currently enrolled at the university and meet the GPA requirements for their chosen program. In most cases, the required GPA is between 2.0 and 2.75; however, this can vary widely, so specific program requirements should be checked. 
  • Students should meet with their department advisors to ensure that they have met the prerequisites for the courses, and are enrolled correctly in the program so the credit will count automatically toward their degree.
  • Students must also be approved by the professor leading the program in order to enroll.


2) Semester & Year Exchanges: Attend a Foreign University While Enrolled at UNT

  • Students must apply and be accepted as exchange students by the Study Abroad Office
  • Academic pre-approval of courses to be taken abroad is required for exchange programs; students should utilize course descriptions from the host school during this process. The GLE produces a lavender form titled Pre-Approval of Classes for this purpose. Based on course information provided by the students, you will need to match up courses offered abroad with courses required for the degree program here at UNT; it is necessary to determine how a host country course equates to a UNT course.  Classes may equate to a specific course or be designated as elective, major, minor, core, etc.  
  • Pre-Approval forms are kept on file in the Global Learning and Experience office while the student is abroad.  They are then scanned along with the final study abroad transcript.  They are viewable through Image Now.


3) Affiliate Programs: Attend a Foreign University While Not Enrolled at UNT

  • These students must attend at least one advising appointment in the Study Abroad Office
  • In most cases, the required GPA is between 2.5 and 2.75, but this can vary, so specific program requirements should be checked. Some affiliated companies may also have other requirements.


Study Abroad Office
Physical Address 
236 Sage

Mailing Address  
1155 Union Circle #310210
Denton, TX 76203-5017

Technical Issues?

For problems regarding this website, contact the

Site Administrator

Study Abroad Office

Disclaimer | AA/EOE/ADA | Privacy Statement | Web Accessibility Policy | State of Texas Online

facebook  Instagram  Twitter 



Last modified 08/30/2015